Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Ground Ball Stabbed By Foulke...

It's not possible for me to care any less about the Mariners (except when they play the O's) but this article is so lovely and Duff really echoes how baseball fans love their radio announcers. First off, it's DUFF MCKAGAN from G'n'R (oh remember those days?) and then it's him extolling the virtues of the people who ultimately make or break the watching/listening experience. Nothing sends shivers down my spine or tears to my eyes like Joe Castiglione's calling of the last out in Game 5 of the 2004 WS. And I can't watch the video of Remy dancing and falling off the announcer's desk without dying laughing. No matter how many times D.O. calls "way back! way back!" I'll still go ballistic watching that ball sail through the air to land on some lucky windshield pahked in the Landsdowne Street garage. And haven't we all turned the volume off when Joe Buck and Tim McCarver squawk on and on about how they want to make sweet sweet love to A-Rod? I actually watched the entire 2004 ALCS sans sound, I kid you not. Now that I live in a city without any sports cred whatsoever, I long for the drives down Comm Ave, Brighton Ave, and Washington Street, where I have the windows down, the breeze on my face, and Joe calling the counts on the AM dial.

No comments:

Post a Comment